Men's dormitory group, Brown University, Providence
Images of Brown
Shaw, Thomas Mott (architect)
Perry, Shaw, & Hepburn (architect)
Architectural drawing of the men's dormitory group, later named Wriston Quadrangle. The Wriston Quadrangle was built between 1950 and 1952 on a site bordered by George, Thayer, Charles Field, and Brown Streets. The design by Perry, Shaw and Hepburn included nine residential buildings, which were built by the Gilbane Building Company. The quadrangle was dedicated on June 1, 1952 when Governor Dennis J. Roberts, architect Thomas Mott Shaw, contractors Thomas F. '33 and William J. Gilbane '33, and Arthur B. Homer '17, chairman of the student housing board and donor of Wayland House, participated in the laying of the cornerstone. The Wriston Quadrangle is comprised of the following buildings: Marcy House, Olney House, Goddard House, Diman House, Sears House, Wayland House, Chapin House, Harkness House, Buxton House and the Sharpe Refectory. It also include Hughes Court, Field Terrace, Patriots Court, Morgan Witter Rogers Gate, Cincinnati Gate and the Edward Leo Barry Gate. Also included in the drawing is the Annmary Brown Memorial built in 1907.