Slaughtering House: Montmartre

Full Metadata

Overview

Title
Slaughtering House: Montmartre
Series
Paris capital of the 19th century
Contributors
Pugin, Augustus, 1762-1832 (illustrator)
Date Issued
1831
Abstract
In 1810, in an attempt to appease the complaints of many Parisians, Napoléon ordered that five slaughtering houses, or "abattoirs," be built just outside of Paris: three on the right bank, and two on the left. These areas were to be the only designated locations where butchers were allowed to slaughter cattle. The abattoir of Montmartre, shown here, was located between the rues Rochechouart, de la Tour d'Auvergne, and des Martyrs, and had dimensions of 1074 feet by 384 feet.
Keywords
Slaughtering and slaughterhouses
Extent
1 engraving

Citation

"Slaughtering House: Montmartre" (1831). Paris: Capital of the 19th Century. Brown Digital Repository. Brown University Library. https://repository.library.brown.edu/studio/item/bdr:80976/

Relations

Collection:

  • Paris: Capital of ... Thumbnail

    The project, "Paris, Capital of the 19th century," initiated by the French Studies and Comparative Literature Departments of Brown University, provides a window into the cultural, political and social context of 19th century Parisian culture.

    It offers online access to ...

    View