Marché des Innocents, 1855

Full Metadata

Overview

Title
Marché des Innocents, 1855
Series
Paris Capital of the Nineteenth Century
Contributors
Hoffbauer, 1839-1922 (creator)
Sabatier, Léon Jean-Baptiste, d. 1887 (lithographer)
Date Issued
1875
Abstract
The Marché des Innocents was opened in 1788 in the place of what used to be Paris's largest cemetery, the Cimetière des Innocents. This market, located in the first arrondissement, served as a central location for Parisians to purchase various herbs and vegetables. In addition to the hundreds of vendors, the market also housed the occasional café and was at one time a place where homeless Parisians could go in the winter for a bowl of hot soup. The Fontaine des Innocents, originally erected in 1549, was transferred to the center of the market in the early 19th century. Although highly decorative, the fountain's four basins served as a sufficient source of water for the entire market. The Marché des Innocents officially closed in 1858 to make way for the popular les Halles marketplace. In 1865, the fontaine des Innocents was once again relocated to what is currently known as the Place des Innocents.
Keywords
Markets
Extent
1 colored lithograph ; 24 x 30 cm.

Citation

Hoffbauer, "Marché des Innocents, 1855" (1875). Paris: Capital of the 19th Century. Brown Digital Repository. Brown University Library. https://repository.library.brown.edu/studio/item/bdr:85598/

Relations

Collection:

  • Paris: Capital of ... Thumbnail

    The project, "Paris, Capital of the 19th century," initiated by the French Studies and Comparative Literature Departments of Brown University, provides a window into the cultural, political and social context of 19th century Parisian culture.

    It offers online access to ...

    View